Saturday, August 21, 2010

6. Get my belly button pierced

Conquering my fear of needles twice in one day may not have been the smartest idea, but I did it, and I must say that I am very proud of myself.
Trisha agreed to go with me for moral support because there was no way I could do this on my own. About an hour after donating blood I was sitting in the waiting area of West Coast Piercing and Ink Den in Guilford patiently waiting my turn to be stabbed with a needle. After signing all the necessary papers and reading the after care procedures it was my turn. I was lead in to the back room where I was sterilized and prepped, my belly button was cleaned with an alcohol solution and I got to pick out the jewel that I wanted to be pierced with. I lay down on the table and felt the cold clamp position and grip tightly where I was going to be pierced, after marking the exact spot with a pen I was told to take a deep breath in and hold it, then slowly release it. While exhaling I felt the slight pinch of the needle, which was left in my stomach while the guiding pin and the jewel were prepared. The needle was removed and was replaced with the guiding pin, followed by the jewel itself. I was told to stay down for a few seconds and then slowly sit up. Feeling okay I stood up and took a look. I was a bit shocked to see my new piercing sparkling at me in the mirror, but I was smiling anyways. While waiting to pay I started feeling light-headed again and had to go and lie back down  in order to prevent myself from fainting. I was given a lollipop and was told to take some deep breaths, which helped me feel better after a couple of minutes. The piercing site is still quite sore, and I have to clean it two to three times a day to make sure it doesn't get infected.
It was a long day, but completely worth it.

There will be a picture posted when the redness has gone down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment