Monday, September 13, 2010

7. Chop off my hair and donate it to cancer patients

I have always wanted to donate my hair for wigs for cancer patients; I just kept putting it off, telling myself that it wasn’t long enough and wondering what it would look like after it was gone. On September 11, 2010 I finally did it. After telling my hairdresser, Dana, that I wanted to donate my hair, she proceeded in tying it in a ponytail at the bottom of my neck and in one move she cut my hair right above the elastic band. After tying the layers together and making sure it wouldn’t fall apart we measured how much was cut off…13 inches…that is a lot. Once my hair was gone, Dana took control and started styling what was left of it in to something manageable. About an hour later I was walking out of the studio with much shorter hair and my ponytail in a plastic bag ready for donation. The charity I chose to donate to is Locks of Love Canada, they specialize in wigs for children with cancer and they seemed like the perfect choice. After packaging up my hair and mailing it across the country I feel really good about what I did. Knowing that my donation will help a child somewhere makes me feel like I have done my part. I still have yet to get used to my short hair, but I am sure that it will grow back quickly. Until then, I am loving the fact that I can pretty much get up and go without having to worry about my hair.


http://www.locksoflove.org/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment